Friday, November 16, 2007

Heroes..

Ok people.. this is not about the popular television series (Although I admit being hooked to it frankly.. damn! season 2 is getting more engrossing with each episode.. I hope all the news of the 11th episode being the season finale, because of a writer's strike, doesn't come true....). So anyways, before I drift to a different topic.. this one is about the real heroes.

The thought started after I had seen a movie called "Platoon" (heard about it from a friend.. was not sure had watched it so went for it). Well as it turned out.. I didn't remember the movie so guess hadn't watched it.. an amazing movie. It was just "A gritty and emotional look at the lives of a platoon of American soldiers as they patrol, fight and die in the jungles of Vietnam as seen through the perspective of a young recruit." (courtesy: IMDB). However, it did make me think about the life of soldiers.

The life of a soldier.. when I compare it with my own, I see a stark difference. Well think about it. People will obviously say.. "They have a difficult life". But perhaps they wouldn't have given it a deeper thought. Its not only about the instability of life in the field. Its also about the smaller things. Things that we take for granted. Life on a day-to-day basis.. simple things like food, clothing, communication.. even things as simple as your daily ablutions. Life's so difficult. Yet, they lead that life and find meaning in the smaller things. That is what makes me look up at them. They live at the most difficult places and the most difficult situations.. and still do it without a single grimace. If we, on the other hand, see even the smallest bit of discomfort, we get so disturbed.

Yes, you would say that they are trained for all of this and I would agree to that. But even then, just think about it. They make the choice of going through all this. This is what makes them so great.

Now moving from their life to their work. They fight for the country, for the people of their country and for things they believe in. How many of us can even fathom that kind of responsibility? We also fight for people, for beliefs but how far can we go. And then, if you ask them, they say.. we just do our jobs (well I got that response). What a job!!!!

Its not that they don't have any imperfections, but I admire them for the good things (as I always try and look for the good things rather than find flaws). I say.. what a job, what a life and what a MAN!!!

Well, I'm simply in awe of them. Perhaps thats one reason why I love watching any movie, reading any article on soldiers. It shows you so much. Really now I am in the position.. "Gosh! there's so much to say.. but really can't find the words.." So I would just wrap up here with a dialogue from one of my all-time favourites 'A Few Good Men'

Sam: Why do you like them so much?
Jo: 'Cause they stand on a wall................. And they say "Nothing's gonna hurt you tonight. Not on my watch."

3 comments:

Surrendered Emotions said...

Very similar to my musings on the soldies on the border - they do what they do because they are real heroes ... they do stand on a wall and say that ... :)

kumar said...

looks like sb is really in awe!!...

My patriotic sis.. the piece of writing is good but sounds like a saga we always here about soilders. Wont you agree??

Add some new perspective and it would make it really great.

Regards,
rishu.

Anumeha Sinha said...

hey rishu.... thanks.. and I would agree.. but don't you think its all true.. :) I'm talking more about the daily lives.... although quiet a few just join the army because they don't have an option.. but still they go and do what they do without any second doubts.. putting their lives on the line of fire for cetain beliefs and that is whats commendable... :)